Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Promise of a New Semester

New semesters, and particularly new academic years, are very exciting. For those of us who are "old hats" in academia, preparation for a new semester is always hectic, but is predictable: planning for classes, creating syllabi and initial assignments and lectures, doing last-minute student advising (what in the world are continuing students doing coming in for advising now??), meeting with new students and prospective graduate students. As I ran around campus this past week, students have been everywhere, moving in to the dorms and exploring campus. Seeing first-time freshmen with their parents brings back the excitement and uncertainty of when I was a freshman ... well, let's just say it was a few years ago. From the student's perspective, it's a big new world, and you'll be responsible for yourself in a way that you've never had to be before. From the parent's perspective, it's all about letting go and trusting that your children will make responsible decisions (a parenting experience that I'll have in just a few years!).

Most of the students in this CSC 100 class are first-time freshmen, so you may very well be experiencing this yourself. I'm looking forward to this class, but I have a confession to make to you: this is the first time I have taught freshmen in around 20 years. I will be making my best effort to look at things from your perspective, and to remember that many of you have no previous experience in computer science. If I stray from that, feel free to remind me - I'm here because I am passionate about computer science, and want to share that passion with you and start you on the fascinating road to understanding the wonders of computing. If I'm doing things that are not allowing you to succeed (and here "succeed" means learning, not just getting a grade in a class), then I want to change things so that you can succeed.

Finally, this is a brand new class - I've never taught it before, but no one else has ever taught exactly this class before either. This class is based on the Beauty and Joy of Computing class at the University of California at Berkeley, but a lot of the class reflects my own changes and ideas. I want to know what you think about the class, and ideas you have on ways to improve it. You can always talk to me or email me about this, but I also want to encourage you to keep your own class blog. In addition to letting me know what you are thinking about the class (I'll read your blog!), it will help you put things into perspective if you occasionally stop and reflect on what you're learning and what you're experiencing in the class. You won't be graded or judged based on what you write, even if it is critical, as long as you are professional - don't make it personal with either me or other students, and don't use language or write anything you would be embarrassed about your mother or grandmother reading. Instructions on how to set up your own class blog are on the class web site, and if you email me a link to your blog I will add a link to it on my blog's page so others can easily follow your blog.

I'm looking forward to a great semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment